01 May How to Handle a Workplace Emergency
just in case…
What should you do in the case of a workplace accident? How can you plan ahead to ensure proper procedures are in place?
Here are 5 key tips to handle a workplace emergency:
1. Remain Calm – this may seem obvious, but it can be challenging to stay calm in the middle of an accident. It’s important to have a leader on-site who can maintain composure, be in control of the situation, and who is properly trained in safety protocols.
2. Communication is Key – The old adage still holds true. If an accident occurs at work, inform the employees and emergency services immediately. It is also a good idea to have a communication plan in place prior to an accident, which includes pertinent contact information and possibly even training on emergency communication equipment.
3. Create an Emergency Action Plan – Have a plan ready in case of an emergency. This includes evacuation procedures, contact information for individuals who can explain duties and responsibilities during the emergency, as well as a list of designated first aiders.
4. Use Your First-Aid Training – there should be at least one first-aider on each worksite, along with any necessary first-aid equipment. Consider hiring a safety officer who understands safety regulations and can answer any safety-related questions.
5. Practice – Work through emergency scenarios with employees so that if the time comes and there is an incident, they are properly prepared.
An accident could happen at any moment. Remember to remain calm, be prepared, and stay safe!